Pachtuv Palace, the former residence of Earl Karel Pachta, is one cultural and architectural landmark of Prague. It is made of 2 different palaces, one baroque-style built around a superb 18th century courtyard, the other one classical, with apartments overlooking the river and Prague's castle.
Pachtuv Palace was originally built in 1770 by architect Jan Josef Ulrch, for the Pachta family. It replaced a previous Palace that once belonged to the emperor Ferdinand II. It is typical of baroque architecture with its ornamental main gate, sculptured stairs and balconies.
In the middle of the 19th century, a classical Palace, Jiraskuv, was built on the riverside and connected to Pachtuv Palace.
Pachtuv Palace is closely linked with the most famous names of music. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, a Prague fan, resided, composed and played there. He first came for a party and found himself “imprisoned” in a music salon for a few hours by Earl Pachta, who wanted his “Six Dances” order composed. In 1832, Wagner also resided in Pacthuv Palace.
The palace has been renovated in 1994 as a residential building and then in 2003-2004 as a luxury serviced residence.(m)